Wednesday, October 26, 2011

September 11th, 2011 - Never Let Me Go

So my idea for this 9/11/11 meeting was to read something related to the 9/11, but received no response for that, so Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro was selected.

(pro tip to future/current online book club organizers: If you build it, they will come. If you ask for feedback, all you'll hear is crickets*.)

Never Let Me Go is one of those books that reveal important details to you after you've spent 5 chapters trying to puzzle it out. So I'm just going to make my recommendation vague for those of you who don't want spoilers.

I'd say read it, or at least see the movie with Kiera Knightly and Carey Mulligan (I haven't seen it but I tend to <3 Kiera Knightly - yeah I know I'm weird). The story raises a lot of good points about how hard it is to go back from the comforts technological advancement and science can give us, and what that means ethically, and why we should stop shady things in the beginning. It should make you think. But it's not a happy story so be prepared to not exactly like it.

Also, it focuses more on the emotional reaction/result of the scientific achievement,  not how it theoretically works, so I wouldn't call it science fiction. I actually wish there was a little more background given, but I respect what Ishiguro was doing by leaving it out.

Oh and for those of you screaming, "How dare you say someone see the movie instead of read the book???!!!!" It's because I think the point is worth making and I recognize that not everyone out there reads 3-4 books a month like I do. Get over your hipster self.


*BTW GUYS! do you watch The SingOff on NBC? It's an acapella competition show and this one group called UrbanMethod did a version Airplanes by B.O.B featuring Haley this week (10/24/2011) and one of the guys started it off with cricket noises and IT WAS AWESOME!  I'm rooting for Pentatonix  though

No comments:

Post a Comment