Friday, October 14, 2011

March 5th, 2011 - Next to Normal

OMG! NEXT TO NORMAL BLEW MY MIND, GUYS!

Like I don't want to talk about it too much, because finding out what goes on while you're there helps you relate to all the heartbreak and healing on that stage. SO DON'T GO AND WIKIPEDIA THE PLOT. Just trust me and see it if you get the chance.

The music is brilliant and very classic rock -ish rather than super fun standalone show tunes, and the lyrics are witty and intelligent without being as pretentious as I am being by using the word pretentious.

Probably the only issue I had with it was because the show was built and designed for Alice Ripley to play the lead. But the songs were so rough on her voice that by the time she got to Seattle she either got awful reviews because she was performing with laryngitis, or an understudy took over.

I went twice (because The 5th Avenue has/had an awesome deal where if you bring in your ticket stub on the day of a performance you want to see you can get any of the remaining seats for $20.) and both times I went I got the understudy, Pearl Sun, who was still awesome. I quickly got over the disappointment of realizing I wasted my second chance on another understudy, because she swept me up in it all over again.

This is definitely not a boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy and girl resolve issues and get married in the finale while singing about it kind of musical. It explores a lot of issues that no one really knows how to deal with, but still leaves you with a sweet feeling at the end. See it if you get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment