Tuesday, October 18, 2011

May 22nd, 2011 - Mary Poppins: The Hit Broadway Musical

And we're back at the Paramount for  the touring production of Mary Poppins: The Hit Broadway Musical.

So...this may sound familiar, but I didn't like Mary Poppins: The Movie as a kid. Here's why, and I think it's something unique to me. If I saw a movie when I was a kid, and the story went into a dream world or fantasy world for a scene or two, I lost my ability to make sense of the movie. Alice and Wonderland, Dumbo, and yes Mary Poppins all fell victim to this confusion.  Even the puppet show scene from Sound of Music kind of threw me off.

We also know that I don't like the Paramount as a theatre. And I made  reference to how I imagined Disney-produced musicals to be too constricted by the movies in an earlier post.

But I liked this. We had made sure to get seats in the orchestra at the Paramount, I had grown out of my timeline confusion, and the only thing a Disney-produced musical means is that they have lots of money to throw at it.

Which means cool cutting-edge backdrops and settings, sweet costumes, flying, and great talent.

There were lots of kids in the audience, which meant lots of people getting up and down and arriving late etc which was kind of annoying but at least they're going to musicals!

And there were tons of new songs...I think. Like I said, I'm not all that clear on what happened in the movie, but they seemed new!

All and all it was a good show that was worth the overpriced tickets. At least I cheated them out of their online fee. =P




No comments:

Post a Comment