Tuesday, October 18, 2011

May 26th, 2011 - Guys and Dolls

And we're back at the 5th!

This was actually the second performance I saw of this that month but since The 5th Avenue has this AWESOME deal where you can exchange your first ticket to see the show again for only $20, I don't remember what the date was for the first time I saw it.

Guys and Dolls is a classic. I'm sure most of you know it from the 1955 movie with Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando (yeah, they got Marlon Brando to sing).

It was a musical before that, based on the short stories of the semi-fictional world peopled by mobsters, show girls, gamblers, and all the characters you imagine from 1920's New York. These stories were created by Damon Runyon and his world is known as Runyonland. The things you learn at Spotlight Nights!

 Yeah I'm obsessed with the 5th...get over it.

Anyway, I had never seen a live production of Guys and Dolls before and I loved it! Except for the end. In the movie they end with a double wedding and people stop talking. In the musical they end with a song about how the men are going to be completely changed and like it. A lot less easy to believe.

Anyway, Billie Wildrick  made a reappearance as Adelaide and was wonderful. And I also developed a celeb crush on Brandon O'Neill who played Sky Masterson (not like Brando). I'll talk about him again for another show.  (They're the two in the picture)

And Sarah Brown annoyed me less than in the movie (she's what I would be like if I was religious and therefore  makes me uncomfortable)

Yay for local performers and awesome shows! This was so worth seeing twice.


No comments:

Post a Comment