Thursday, December 1, 2011

December 1st, 2011- Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella

"A lovely night, A lovely night! A finer night you know you'll never see!" :)

The 5th Avenue's 2011 holiday show is Rodger's and Hammerstein's Cinderella and it's adorable. I guarantee you that people will take the bus home  humming the music and straight up sing it when they have to walk the last few blocks by themselves. (and by "people", I mean me. )

But because I'm in an argumentative mood because someone was condescending to me on Facebook and I'm trying not to force them to change their mind so I'm just leaving the argument to die a natural Facebook death (even though my last post I conceded the point and tried to exit gracefully)... I guess I'll be nit picky here.

One of the songs, "Ten Minutes Ago" is all about how Prince Christopher Rupert Vwindemier Vlandamier.... (there's more, I'll spare youand Cinderella fall in love at first sight.

Alright, sure, that's totally possible. But please wait more than 10 minutes so you can try and make sure. Normally I don't think this would bother me, after all it is a kid's show and they need to keep things snappy. But Brandon O'Neill, who I've obsessed about before, played the Prince and he was very over the top with it. Antsy little boy legs, hunched "I'm so excited!" shoulders, pretty much all the things a person who would fall in love at first sight would do.

Except, I'm sure deep down he was feeling, "This whole premise is ridiculous. Who falls in love at first sight?" and I'd probably like him less if he didn't think that.

Although I did swoon a little at the kiss.  I would never say that was a bad casting choice because you get to see Brandon O'Neill in hot riding boots and the cool vest-with-the-high-collar- over- billowy- shirt- sleeves-look. Can that look come back, please.

He did the best with what he had to work with (a pansy).

Anyway, I guess I wasn't feeling the whole love at first sight thing. I did cringe a little at the cheesiness, although at one point all the adults chuckled and a kid got it two seconds later and laughed really loud and that set everyone off into wild applause which was nice to be a part of.

God bless children.

The only other things I sort of bothered me was that most of the female cast had very distinct and unique voices that are acquired tastes. They're lovely and perfect once you get used to them but a little jarring during their first song.

To end on a high note though, the sets and costumes were delightful, the magic was magical (no but really, I was surprised at how they did some of it) The music of course was excellent. Greg McCormick Allen, Nick Garrison, Sarah Rudinoff, and Jennifer Paz (Lionel, The stepsisters Joy and Grace, and Cinderella respectively) were all perfectly cast.

I definitely want to see it again and you should too if you get a chance!

If you can't, then just stick one of the three movie  versions in :)






1 comment: